Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Well, these photos finally loaded! The photo on the top is the butterfly that I cannot identify. I think that it looks like a Gulf Friterary, but I'm not sure. If anyone can identify it, please let me know! The inside of the wings are a dusty orange, with three little white spots on the top of each wing near the head. The photo underneath (in the middle) is the Spicebush Swallowtail and a bee that didn't mind sharing the zinnia. Its funny, because wasps at the hummingbird feeders chase the hummingbirds away, but obviously bees have better manners.
This bottom photo is the Tiger Swallowtail. At least that's what I think it is. I know that it is a Swallowtail, but I'm not positive about the Tiger part. I have a few other photos that are pretty decent (of the butterflies), and I may post them at some time in the future, so be forewarned! Butterflies are much less aware of human presence than hummingbirds, or if they are aware, they don't seem to mind. At any rate, it's fairly easy to get butterfly pictures. I hope that you enjoy the photos as much as I enjoy taking them!

5 Comments:

At 3:42 AM, Blogger Rurality said...

Yeah I think that is a Fritillary. But I can't say for sure without seeing the top side! (You knew I was going to say that, I'm sure. :)

I have apparently put my butterfly book somewhere really "good" and can't remember swallowtails without it. I'll look for it later if nobody else knows right off.

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger The dykes next door said...

That's my problem-my butterfly book is in my classroom. I've got to go up there today or tomorrow to water our garden and feed all of my classroom animals that I couldn't bring home, so I'll get my book while I am there and look some more. I looked on the internet, and not only was it time consuming (some sites are really hard to navigate), none of the photos matched this butterfly exactly. I'll let you know if I can figure it out...if you find yours, let me know.

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger The dykes next door said...

Oh, and when I can get another photo that shows the top of the butterfly to load, I'll add a top view.

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger The dykes next door said...

It is a Gulf Fritillary. I went to school and got my book. I guess I need to keep it with me at all times. You never know when you'll see butterflies.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger The dykes next door said...

Ok, now that I look in my book, I don't think that the yellow one is a Tiger Swallowtail. I think that it is a Giant Swallowtail, although the markings on the one in the photo I took are a bright yellow, and the markings on the illustration in the book are a lighter yellow-almost white (but the description SAYS yellow). The pattern is what makes me think that it is a Giant Swallowtail.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home