Tuesday, July 04, 2006

I hate to fill out forms of any kind. Trying to fit all of the necessary information into those little boxes is tedious at best. I hate explaining that I have absolutely no blood relatives (oh, you poor thing), and I hate having to justify why I list my ex-husband and my ex-mother-in-law under friends (how hard is it to understand that you still get along with your ex-husband, and that your ex-mother-in-law is like your own mother, but better?). But the trickiest question for me is the one that says 'Marital Status: Single? Divorced? Married?'. Every time I get to this question, I sit and stare at the page, trying to work out the answer. Of course, as you know, I am married. Just not legally in the state of Louisiana (at least not yet). So, if I check married, what will happen to me? Will the truth-in-marital-status police come for me? I know that I am married, the state of Louisiana just doesn't recognize that I am. I also know that I am definitely not single. I feel guilty, like I am denying my wife and our life together if I check single. There's no way that I am single. And to complicate things further, yes, I am divorced. But what does that have to do with anything? Is it their business that I am no longer married to the boy I married as a young, naive nineteen year old, fresh out of college? I think not. And please explain to me the difference between divorced and single! In either case, you are not married. Is there something special about your singleness after you have gone through costly legal wrangling to remove your check from the married box? So there I sit, trying to figure out which box to check. It would be much easier if they would just recognize our marriage legally. But since that isn't going to happen soon, maybe they could just put a box on the forms that says "in a committed relationship" or "domestic partner". Or better yet, leave the whole thing off! Yeah! What business is it of theirs what your marital status is? Let's start a movement....privacy! Leave it blank! Write in "Its none of your business"! Stand up to the powers that be! Why does the dentist need to know such personal information? No more will we be pigeonholed into the overly complex: Married? Single? Divorced?. I can see the grassroots movement growing! Who's with me on this?

3 Comments:

At 1:51 PM, Blogger Rose of Sharon said...

You crack me up! I love the part where I find out you were at the dentist's office. You know, I had this same connundrum two weeks ago when I was filling out forms to see the diabetic dietitian. They asked me about my marital status and then they asked me who I lived with and what relationship I had with this person. So I was completely honest and listed Jen as my "life partner". I know, for some this is a bit businesslike, but that's how I fill out my forms if they ask. At first I was wondering why they needed to know, but it dawned on me that as a diabetic, they might want to do family education. So in any case, they know I'm a dyke too...oh well.

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger The dykes next door said...

Thank you! Just one more thing that we all go through in this life. I am listed as my wife's "domestic partner" at her place of employment, and on her dental/vision insurance. My/our son is on her insurance also. We both have used it a few times, and there haven't been any problems.
Thank goodness for small favors!

 
At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo I absolutely adore your site. You have beautiful graphics I have ever seen.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home